A prerequisite is a course or condition that must be completed/met prior to enrollment in another specified course.
For former CSUN students, SOLAR determines if the student meets the prerequisite requirements.
For visiting students, permission numbers can be used to override course prerequisites (although professors may need proof of completion/fulfillment of that requirement). For more information on permission numbers, see below.
For visiting students, a Permission Number is required to register for courses with specified prerequisites.
To obtain a Permission Number, contact the instructor. If sending an email, please provide:
- Your full name
- Student ID (optional)
- Course number and title (i.e., “MATH 102 – College Algebra”)
- Provide proof of how you have met the prerequisite requirement:
- For example, you may send an informal copy of your transcript and/or links to descriptions of the relevant course(s) taken at your home institution, or a brief explanation of your readiness.
- This process varies depending on the department.
- Suggested subject line: “MATH 102 Permission Number for Spring 2018”
A list of department chairs can be found on the Contact Us page.
Details regarding Open University registration period, add/drop classes, grades, refunds and late enrollment can be found below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents on this page. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.
- Although dropping a course protects your academic record, there is no refund available after February 9, 2018. For more information, see Refunds.
- For the “W” grade definition, see Administrative Grading Symbols.
Open University Add/Drop Chart and Refund Schedule
||ADD A CLASS
||DROP A CLASS*
||CHANGE BASIS OF GRADING
January 29 - February 9, 2018
|Add online with permission number from instructor
(January 29 – February 9)
|Students withdrawing after the 4th Week (February 16, 2018) will receive a letter grade of "W". For more information, see Withdrawal Policies.
|After February 16, 2018
In order to add, drop* or change the basis of a grade, students must get approval using the forms below.
A $25 late fee will apply.
Undergraduate Student only:
Graduate Students only:
Back to Knowledge Center